User research, UI/UX design, Prototyping
Design research, Research synthesis,
User testing, Prototype, Wireframe, Workflow, Visual design
Building an online platform for designers to create design mindmap, aiming to be a great assistant for
idea documentation and remote teamwork.
• PowerPoint or Mindmap App not designed especially for designers users.
• Design information collection is not so clear during group talk.
• Remote design group brainstorming is not so efficient.
Design with team in traditional design process
Take photo for the achievement in different design process
Import pictures for design mind map
Functions and needs come form background
Brainstorm of mind maps and stickers / Design sketches / Dividing the work / Design tools built for designers on phone/ Special Tech(screen sketch, audio) if designers/ developers need
Who else in this area?
Google Slides / Apple Notes / Evernote / Microsoft OneNote / Mindjet
Opportunities and Unmet needs
· Designers start using smart phones or pads more often than before
· Currently, it's inconvenient for designers to use the group working app with engineering function
· Someone is absent the meeting may come later to see the process or even do it remotely
· Design students groups can use this as a prototype management tool
· Users can share the ideas to other groups
PACT Analysis (People, Activities, Context, Technologies)
· Different levels of design level students
· Projects members or teammates
· People who aim to do a prototype of the design after brainstorm
· People can see each other when they make it at the same time
· 18-35-year-old age group
· Low to Medium income bracket
· Use during, and /or after group discussing
· Usage is based on the discussing time (1x or more/week)
· Can be utilized individually or together with people
· Require high focus or concentration
· Length of usage at a time is short and frequent
· Indoor, studios, remote places
· Noise level: low
· Can be utilized alone or together with people
· Mobile usage
· Mobile /web application
· Online /offline modes
· Users are content creators
· Users will be connected
· Social media aspect
Analysis / Findings
· The ways designers use while design: sketch on papers, stickers, lots of post its, Mind map, notes, illustrator, whiteboard, tape or staples, Google doc, Models, Diagrams, Mindject, blueprint
· Users are accustomed to the mixed way with traditional and digital design way.
· There are 45.7% designers whom I researched choose to use iPads, iPhone while design (But some of the people means they use computers as digital design way).
· 56.5% users think using traditional tools while design takes some time, but it won't influence the design process, and it isn't the energy they waste.
· For the thinking of the tools' future, 78.3% of the designers think: with new ways to do design prototype, you may not feel comfortable with these tools at the beginning, in the long run, but when you accustomed with it, it will save a lot of time.
User Insight Test
12 designer’s working process Insights Photos
/ 1 photo collect process
How to make Design mindmap simple but powerful
Powerful = Much more to explore
Function design from insights thinking
Design process with team online
Take photo for the achievement in process
Import pictures for design mindmap
Share the mindmap for different need